Friday, August 8, 2008

New Employee Orientation

Yesterday was the New Employee Orientation for all employees in our district. I was able to attend with 10 of my new teachers and teacher assistants. I was asked by multiple people at the district level why I had come for the whole day and I responded that I needed a chance to get to know some of my staff. I was able to attend breakout sessions, eat lunch, go on a district bus tour and attend general sessions with all of my new teachers. I also had the opportunity to drive six of the staff members to and from the orientation. It took place about 25 miles from our school so we decided to ride together.
I knew that it would give them a chance to get to know each other better and bond a little. I heard many conversations taking place throughout the ride and know that they like and trust each other more. Everyone is from such different backgrounds, that the time they used to get to know each other was so beneficial. I am glad that I got to talk to them informally get to know them better. It makes everyone feel much more comfortable!
We had a chance to ride around, on a bus, through our school's attendance area. It gave everyone a chance to see where our kids come from. It also allows us all to have a better understanding of the area and how the kids live. Now, if a child doesn't have homework, we may be little more quick to forgive understanding what they go home to each afternoon.
I would urge new principals to take every opportunity to develop relationships with staff members. I have met individually with all of my returning staff, and now I have built relationships with my new staff members.
There are 3 days until all staff members return...

No comments: