Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My First Official Day...with kids!

Monday the 18th was the first official day with students. When I first started in July, we had some students at the school for summer school and I was able to meet some kids. But on Monday, they all came. We had a first day enrollment of 465 kids, which was below projections. This number has risen by 5% in the first three days.
The night before school, I went around to check out each classroom and I gave each teacher a little note entitled, "Our Workplace". My 3 year old son helped me go around to each classroom and office to give these out to all staff members. A few folks commented that they appreciated the gesture. I hope that they will take the words to heart and partner with one another this school year.
We had a number of folks register their kids first thing in the morning on Monday. Alot of parents came in to find out who their child's teacher was because they were not able to come to the Back To School Event. The office was a busy place. I have met many new folks, but it will take a while to get to know the kids and parents. School started on time and we had very few issues. I took the time to walk around to each classroom and greet the teachers (this has become my new daily routine - the idea was introduced to me by a former Assistant Superintendant - "Thanks for the suggestion, Dr. Howard"). The teachers were all enthusiastic with their welcoming of all students. The rest of the school day went on without any incidences. There was a visit from the director of student services and also from my Academic Improvement officer. Both ladies commented that everything appeared to be going well.
We made it to dismissal...
I was worried because about 3 quarters of our students ride the bus home, many for the first time. My assistant principal and the rest of the staff did a great job getting kids to the buses and on the correct buses. We had a few students returned to schools because they missed their stop or had gotten on the wrong bus. By 5:00 everyone had been returned home or picked up. Not bad for the first day (since school gets out at 3:30 and buses didn't leave until almost 4:00).
I am thoroughly enjoying my time as principal. Things are definitely more stressful when you realize that there is no one else to look towards, but working with a great staff has helped keep the stress to a minimum! 1 day down, 179 to go!!!

No comments: