Saturday, November 29, 2008

Is consensus building bad for a school team?

In my previous roles in administration we have always tried to build consensus among team members. We used to try to complete these matrices that were predicated on buuilding consensus with all staff memebers. What generally happened is that people would agree to the decisions just to have a consensus...and mercifully end the meetings! These matrices were completed as part of a school-wide self assessment to assess how the school was doing towards meeting their goals. Most of the discussions lacked true consensus as most were just trying to go home. Every once in a while, someone would disagree, with cause, and the tension in the room would rise. Most people were thinking, "Just be quiet so we can go home!" I sat in on these meetings as teacher/participant and as an administrator/facilitator. Every meeting, from four different schools, went the same way and had the same feeling.
At my new school, we have yet to hold a meeting that required us to come to a consensus.
As part of my principal induction program, I am reading a book titled, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, written by Patrick Lencioni. In his book, the point is raised that consensus is horrible, unless is comes about quickly and naturally. Otherwise, it is an attempt please everyone, which eventually leads to pleasing no one! He states that most reasonable people just want to be heard, but don't always have to have their way. He states that some teams [schools] become paralyzed by trying to please everyone and they do not engage in true to debate to help solve problems. He states that people can disagree and commit to an idea, as long as they had a chance to voice there opinions. The phrase used was: "Disagree and buy-in".
This is a new perspective for me in the context of management. I have always thought that disgreement in a team setting was harmful, but now I look at it as if there is no disagreement, then there must be a problem. I have never had a problem disagreeing or hearing others disagree, but I thought it was a sign that we were not on the same page. Now I look at it as healthy for all to disgree, as long as there is commitment in the end...
I hope that this new perspective changes my management style and produces a healthy workplace that is accepting of disagreements and expects commitment!

No comments: