Monday, September 29, 2008

Raccoon Hunting Season

Apparently, it is legal to hunt raccoons on your property in the county that my school is in?!?!? It is even legal if your property connects to school property. How do I know this you ask? We had a school neighbor hunting raccoons from his porch. He used a handgun (which he had a legal permit for) to shoot 2 raccoons that had been getting into his home. At the time of the hunting episode, we did not know what was happening. We heard gunshots and immediately had all students that were outside on the playground get into the building. We called the county sheriff's office to make the report. The deputy came out and investigated the issue. He found that the neighbor had been shooting at raccoons on his property. He said they had been getting into his house and he was stopping them. The deputy told him that it would be wise to notify the school before doing anymore raccoon hunting or target practice during the school day.
In a year of many firsts...this is definitely one of the strangest!

1 comment:

fran said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. I especially enjoyed the reacoon hunting story. I think it is wise to hold the planning sessions for your teachers. That time will be cherished by teachers. I hope they'll make the most of their precious time together to plan. Check out the technology blog from Greenville. I posted my first blog last week about how to begin technology integration.